Friday, February 1, 2008

Is Mashups entering the enterprise?

For some time the innovative web-developers has developed and build cool webs and solutions using free components that they “glue” together. I worked with some rather amazing developers that used mashup-methods – “a little bit of this and a little bit of this put this together with this and viola here is the new web-solution”

I`we been working as a consultant in the portals segment since early 2000. To bring some insight in the difference between portlets and Mashups I suggest that you reed the section on Wikipedia regarding “Mashups Versus Portals” – as an “old” portal visionary I find this quite interesting.

Will this work for the enterprise ?
In my reading I came across an article on
InformationWeek that highlights the release of IBM’s Lotus Mashup Builder, which allows end-users build their own mashups on a webpage and share it with the rest of the organization. IBM is an innovator in introducing new Web 2.0 tools for the Enterprise, and I think this application show that they take this seriously. Employees can embed useful applications like a Google search bar, a Wikipedia page, or any other useful tool. I also find usefull sites that have directories of mashups, also for the enterprise. The next step in this process is getting IT to understand the business value of mashups in order to include these web-pages within a corporate profile. But this is another discussion…

I feel that governance is a missing-link, but as I see this Mashup Builder it can track vital information such as who were building, who is sharing, the services that are being used, and a lot more. It also helps that IBM is bringing this on an Enterprise level.

It looks like IBM has a head start regarding Mashup for the Enterprise, but I hope other giants will see the usefulness and follow.

No comments: