Thursday, February 7, 2008

A quick look at Business Process Management (BPM)


As I see it Business Process Management will be the back-bone of every ECM project, and in this blog spot I will focus on BPM in this context. The trends show shift from information/content driven customer interaction to one-on-one customer interaction. In this paradigm shift Process Management capabilities are essential. In the last month I read several case studies that shows premium benefits for organizations that implement cross functional business self service processes such as order to cash, procurement to order, service and claim. These cross functions integrated processes are classic examples on Value Chain Integration – and as I see it the “holy grail” of Enterprise Information Portals.

To implement a holistic e-service view the organisation, culture and skill set need to change and e-service initiatives need to be backed-up by unified process management

Why is BPM essential
Many organizations have started BPM and SOA projects (I will describe SOA in later blog spot). As I se it many of these initiatives are independent and disconnected. The BPM initiatives often start in the business arena, while the SOA projects often start in the IT department with a focus on new technology (hype-masters) and easy application integration. However, there is increasingly recognition that BPM is the business side of SOA, and together PBM and SOA will accelerate the business value with coordinated implementation.

Some recommendations regarding implementation of BPM
You should start to adapt process modelling as early as possible. Look at the business side and implement holistic process architecture. Start mapping (as-is) the critical and manual processes that are customer- or partner facing and require a higher level of integration and flexibility. These processes will often enable customer satisfaction, growth and competitive advantage for your organisation. Work with your team to improve (to-be) these processes. Implement self service through web/object presentation closely linked to improved processes.

In the weekend I will be at a kick-off, and I will be a bit late with my weekly blog spot.

Next week I will give my view on Microsoft’s bid on Yahoo.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I think you're right .. BPM is definitely the backbone. But what you're missing is the SOA story .. most companies are talking of BPM and SOA in the same breath. Check Fujitsu with their Interstage offering at fujitsu.com/interstage or IBM .. where if you search for BPM you get an article on BPM and SOA :). There is a definite synergy betn BPM and SOA .. and organizations are now realizing it. Not sure how much in Europe .. but in the US .. people are now implementing such solutions.

Eirik Rasmussen - Managing Consultant at Capgemini Norway said...

Tank you for the feedback!

I totally agree with you that BPM and SOA are linked together, and need to be mentioned in the same breath of air ☺

As I wrote in my blog I will cover the SOA story in a later blog, and planed in this blog to describe the connection between SOA, BPM and ECM.

I also guess that the US marked was earlier to adopt SOA principles, and therefore now se the link between SOA and BPM for utilisation of business synergies.

I also read the link you submitted. Interesting reading regarding the link between BPM and SOA “Enabling SOA. Going Beyond Web Services” I also would like to thank you for bringing Fujitsu into my attention span – this company has not beed on my SOA/BPM reading list.

So thanks again – and please stay in touch!

EirikR